QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
K.C. Strings is just off the exit of Johnson Drive and I-35 highway - 5842 Merriam Drive Merriam, Kansas 66203.
Shop hours are:
Monday through Friday 10:00 am to 7:00 p.m. , Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 p.m., and Central Time zone
|Phone: Fax:||(913) 677-0400 (913) 677-4506|
We are innovators and creators of instruments and accessories used by string players all over the world. We are located in Kansas City, the heart of America. K.C. Strings is the only American maker of professional level violins, violas, cellos and basses. The passion and quality of our work is the foundation of our success. We are a full service violin shop. We repair, rent, and sell string instruments and bows in all price ranges and sizes. You dream, we listen, together we create!
Private lessons are available 7 days a week, depending on teachers' schedules. We offer lessons for all levels of violin, viola, cello and bass.
With the opening of the conservatory area adjacent to our shop, K.C. Strings has greatly increased the opportunity for individual and small group lessons. We offer lessons for all levels of violin, viola, cello and bass playing as well as music theory & composition.
- Highly qualified teachers who are experienced with all levels of students and who are also active performers.
- Lesson times available Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Comfortable, spacious, soundproofed lesson rooms grouped around an atrium created for ensembles and recitals.
- A convenient location close to the Merriam Town Center shops.
- Easily accessible parking and a quiet waiting area.
- Plans for a summer camp, master classes with university teachers, symphony players and performing artists, and student scholarships.
- Most lesson fees are $20.00 to $25.00 per half-hour session.
For more information about our teachers, lesson schedule and fees, please call K.C. Strings at 913/677-0400.
The K.C. Strings dblBass Buggie allows easy, convienient bass transport.
Does not put pressure on the lower block like an end-pin wheel (bass wheel) including from bumps in the walkway!) Allows the bass to stand upright. Works indoors as well as outdoors! Can strap onto the bass body with or without a bag. Adjusts to any size bass from 1/10 to 4/4. Made in the U.S.A.
Unlike a "bass wheel", the Buggie:
- Rolls easily and straight on ball bearing wheels.
- Can make the bass stand upright on its own without support.
- Allows endpin to remain in place while in use.
- Does not put pressure on the lower block and prevents impact to the lower block from bumps in walkway.
- Has a flexible body that allows shock absorption, therefore, further protecting the instrument.
- For very rough terrain, the 'buggie Cushion' (see below) can be attached to the bass buggie body.
K.C. Strings is the only American maker of professional level violins, violas, cellos and basses. We strive to unlock the secrets of producing the best possible sound and playability in instruments at every price level. Therefore, K.C. Strings has developed five lines of instruments that meet the needs of students, amateur players and professionals, with each group building upon the features of the group before it. We feel that these instruments offer the best performance for the cost at every price level.
We can help you get more out of your instrument so you can express more of yourself.
All K.C. Strings instruments are individually set up in our Kansas City area workshops. For the first year after purchase, all instruments are warrantied for quality of materials and construction.
K.C. Strings take seriously a commitment to customer satisfaction. Our knowledgeable staff strives to educate clients about all aspects of instrument construction, selection and care. We hope to be of service to you.
Please inquire if you have something already in mind.Go to "instruments introduction"
- NO INTEREST on rental fees.
- Our prices include insurance at NO EXTRA charge.
- Rent applies to the purchase of rental and non-rental instruments.
- Wide selection of instruments.
- Easy upgrade to bigger sizes at no additional charge.
- Fast repairs on premises.
- Advanced level instruments available to rent at higher rates.
- Payments are automatically charged to debit or credit card.
- Our shop has been featured in every major Kansas City newspaper and news channel.
- Our many years in business lets you know the instruments we sell are high quality at good prices because professional musicians and their students are our clientele.
- Our selection of upper level instruments and the ability to trade-up to them is an even more important consideration than the initial student instrument purchase.
The "Golden Proportion" was widely used by renaissance artists. Luthiers used Golden Proportion geometry to visually and acoustically construct their instruments.
Although the Cremonese makers created different models and arches, their instruments have in common a depth and richness of sound that is best described as a Bel Canto voice. This was due to the application of an opaque mineral layer which became transparent when impregnated with varnish. This coating on an instrument's surface accentuates the color-palette of sound, while filtering the shrill overtones.
These principles and traditions are alive in the violins, violas, cellos and basses made by Anton Krutz. When played together they produce an unparalleled unity of sound.
Music stores are good for band, catalogs are good for cheap strings. K.C. Strings is great for orchestra. We craft, rent, sell and repair stringed instruments used by beginning students up through symphony professionals. We are dedicated to producing and distributing the best sounding instruments in any price range. It is our goal to provide schools with the highest quality instruments available while staying within the confines of their budget. We offer a large discount off of our retail prices for school instrument bids. We can customize instrument outfits to the individual needs of teachers and schools. Our flexible policy has allowed us to outfit dozens of school districts across the nation.
K. C. Strings gives significant discounts on our instruments, bows and accessories for school orders. Please inquire for school pricing.Go to our school orders page
Now violinists can come to one violin shop to get the bow they need. KC Strings offers the finest violin bows to meet the most demanding requirements of professional violinists and advanced or intermediate students. Our bow selection is comprised of the finest quality and craftsmanship available. By matching the player with the right bow, we will enable you to produce the optimal sounds on your instrument.
As well, K.C. Strings is the Lev Sobol Bows in America | K.C. Strings Violin Shop.
Go to Lev Sobol Bows
One of our owners, Misha Krutz, is a professional bass player, trained at the Leningrad Conservatory, and played with the Kirov Ballet before emigrating to America. He now plays with the Kansas City Symphony. We also have other professional bass players on staff, and this gives us a unique insight into the needs and desires of bass players at all levels. Our understanding of the tribulations endured by bass players helps us greatly in addressing their concerns.
The other owner of K.C. Strings is Rick Williams. He is a world class craftsman with more than thirty years experience including work for such noted designers as Thomas Britt of New York and Dudley Poplak of London. His extensive experience with crafting large wooden items and structures made it possible for him to start making basses. Also his skills with design and engineering has expressed itself in the invention of many of the unique bass accessories you see on this site.
The tuning machines, extensions, bass buggies, stands, and other accessories
that follow were all developed and designed in our shop in concert with active
bass players, and our depth of experience and knowledge has helped us design
products that are uniquely adapted to meet the needs of bass players everywhere.
We are a resource for Upright Bass Players. Classical, Acoustic, Rockabilly, Bluegrass, or Jazz!