K.C. Strings C Extensions
Brass Slide C Extension - $550
Wood Gated C Extension - $750
These extensions are truly unique. They are easy to install, easy to adjust and do not mutilate the scroll like other extensions.
Our extensions are made of brass and help conduct the acoustic vibrations through the scroll. Their construction and weight of 2.5 lbs. actually increase the volume and depth of sound on the “E” string after it is installed. Among the many jazz and classical professionals using our extensions are: Principal bass of Boston Pops, Principal bass of Indianapolis Symphony, and Principal bass New Orleans Symphony.
|BXTGCW||Brass Slide-C Bass Extension||$||550||View Product|
|BXTGCW||Wood Gated-C Bass Extension||$||750||Pls. Call|
Slide C-Extension with installation $1,200.
Gated C-Extension with Installation $1,400.
- The brass extension with ebony fingerboard has a unique sliding, self-clamping gate.
- The string glides effortlessly on rollers through the body of the extension and around the scroll.
- The extension can be easily adjusted to fit on any bass without cutting into the scroll. (See slide C-Extension Installation Instructions)
- Extension weighs 3 lbs.
The Lever Arm is under spring tension and automatically clamps the attached Lever Foot on top of the string. The unclamping of the string is done manually by pressing the Lever Arm down, using the Thumbpiece below it as support for the hand. With the Lever Arm pressed down, the Gate easily slides along the length of the Gate Runway to any position. Any notes below the clamped Lever Foot are then fingered.
* The top of the scroll needs to be at least 1.5cm below the "neck projection line" (for standard use).
* The Finger board needs to be about 1cm in side thickness
The top of the scroll needs to be at least 1.5 cm below the projected "neck projection line" (for standard use) (shown in the picture above in dotted blue-green). The finger board needs to be about 1 cm in side thickness.
The Wood Shim and extra long Extension Body are cut down to fit individual scrolls. Instructions and all parts for installation come with the extension. A craftsman with hand plane and tool skills can do the work.
- Each individual gate is easily adjustable for height (of the string) and placement along the extension body.
- The gates open and close with ease. (See Extension with Gates instructions.)
- Click here for instructions on tuning your bass with the gated extension.
- Individual Gate Assembly - $55
|BXTGCB||Brass Slide-C Bass Extension||$||550||View Product|
|BXTGCW||Wood Gated-C Bass Extension
(Options for natural or black finish)
What to do if the scroll is at or above the neck projection line:
The Gated C-Extension will still work even if the scroll is at or above the neck projection line and no cutting of the scroll will be needed; When our extension is on a bass with the scroll that is 1.5 cm below the neck projection line then all gates open and close on the string normally. This is done by using only the top two fingers of the left hand (and the thumb underneath the brass extension body). When the scroll is higher then the neck projection line then the C string is very high above the extension fingerboard due to the fact that the extension itself is resting on top of the elevated scroll. So you have to press the "C" string down with the bottom two (pinkie) fingers of the left hand before you can close the first gate with the usual top two fingers.
Once one of the gates is closed with this two step process then the "C" string is pressed down and any other gate can be opened and closed with the usual one step process. This extra first step is so quick that it won't interfere with the playing at all.